Monday, January 15, 2007

Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes

Despite Burt Reynolds and Man Law decreeing that baking and football doesn't go together, Jeff and I took a break from the Patriots game yesterday to make a batch of cupcakes. I was a little nervous about them living up to the cream cheese frosting gooeyness of last week, so I opted for the Chocolate Mousse cupcakes since the recipe included this tip: "You might want to double this recipe - you will never have too many." I didn't double it since I decided having 24 cupcakes in my apartment would not be good for me fitting into my clothes. But, the recipe lives up to the tip and consensus is that these cupcakes are actually better than the oreo ones. It actually tastes like you are eating chocolate cake batter. Plus, I learned what happens to egg whites when you beat them - who knew? But I digress...make these TODAY!!

Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes
(Makes about 12 cupcakes - I got 15)

4 heaping tablespoons of all-purpose flour
2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt + good pinch for egg whites
10 oz dark chocolate
1 cup/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp
6 eggs, separated
Grated chocolate for decoration (optional)

  1. Preheat over to 350'
  2. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside
  3. Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or microwave. Don't cook - the chocolate and butter should be just melted
  4. Beat egg yolks and sugar until light yellow and foamy. Beat in melted chocolate until totally blended
  5. Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not dry. Gently fold into chocolate mixture. Divide mixture into 2 parts and put oe of the in refrigerator to be used later to frost cupcakes. Gently whisk flour mixture into other half until it's completely absorbe.
  6. Fill cupcake papers about 2/3 full with batter and bake 15-20 minutes. Don't overcook. Cupcakes should be just cooked and moist in the center. Remove from oven and cool.
  7. When cupcakes are cool, frost with remaining chocolate mousse. Decorate with grated chocolate.

7 comments:

Seemz said...

ohmygod...pictures?!

Anonymous said...

the masses have spoken, we want pictures! and fed ex shipments!

Seemz said...

and who is jeff?! what happened to fetus??? :)

Anonymous said...

Don't you worry your pretty little head off Seema, the Fetus is alive and well. Jeff is my cover for when i'm out and about among the common folk. Consider it my Clark Kent. To the matter at hand: these cupcakes are(for lack of a perfect curt description) astoundingly, unabashedly, mercilessly, unapologetically fantabulous. Halfway through that sentence I had to decide if I felt I was going a bit too far. My decision: not nearly far enough. These cupcakes kinda leveled me. T-money's description of these cupcakes as "like eating chocolate cake batter" is almost perfect. All i would add is this: it's like eating chocolate cake batter that doesn't make you sick afterwards. Make these, try one, and when you're done orgasming, go tell a friend.

J said...

Ha. I love Fetus's screen name bc I get it. Can we combine the names Fetus and Jeff and call you Feff?

In other news. The fact that you guys are seriously making a batch of cupcakes a week - I am so impressed by your stick-to-it-iveness!!

J said...

PS - Feff, I will forgive you for writing "orgasming" since I had to write "wipe yourself" about twelve times at NJ90210.

Patrick said...

Feff's description of this cupcake is right on. I almost fell off of my chair after I wet myself from trying not to groan too loudly at work. This is an extremely effective and highly dangerous cupcake.