Monday, February 5, 2007

I'm Back Baby!! Chocolate Cupcakes and Coffee Cream Cheese Frosting

After last week's cupcake debacle, I was little worried I had lost my touch. Fortunately I redeemed myself with this recipe I found on the Internet (I just didn't trust that crazy cupcake lady from the cookbook). Brought them to a Superbowl Party where they received glowing reviews (although if my friends told me they sucked that would be kind of rude). These cupcakes are REALLY easy to make since it's a 1-bowl mix so I recommend for cupcake beginners or anyone strapped for time. Also I felt the icing was just a tad too sweet. If you're feeling adventurous, try starting with a half a box of sugar and then continue adding to taste. Yum!

2 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup shortening (I used 3/4 cups butter instead)
3 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon double acting baking powder

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Place liners in 2 dozen 3-inch muffin pan cups or grease and flour cups. Into a large bowl, measure all cupcake ingredients except frosting. With mixer at low speed, beat until well mixed, constantly scraping bowl. At high speed, beat 5 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally. Spoon into muffin pan cups, filling each half full. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick in center of one comes out clean and dry. Cool in pans on wire racks, 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on racks. Prepare frosting and top cupcakes.

COFFEE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
6 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
16 oz confectioners' sugar
4 teaspoons of instant coffee

In small bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat together the softened cream cheese and evaporated milk. Beat in vanilla, salt, sugar and instant coffee until well blended.

4 comments:

J said...

I disagree about the frosting. They were perfect!

Seemz said...

pictures pictures pictures! you're slackin' rupp! how can i fantasize about cupcakes if i don't know what they look like?

Anonymous said...

um. Yes. I am severly missing photographic evidence of these fantasic creations. C'mon Rupp, give the people what they want. Maybe we can use the pictures in the menu for the Brewkery Bake Pub.

Anonymous said...

Very...very...very tasty. I'm not a fan of things that taste like coffee other than actual coffee and my mouth was watering over these. If you like the taste of coffee then you're in luck. The frosting is just sweet enough, and the cream cheese really adds to the texture. For me, however, the most enjoyable part was the cupcakes themselves. It's a basic chocolate cupcake and they came out magnifiscently. I'll see if I can't browbeat little miss bakes-a-lot into taking some pictures of the next batch.